Spiced Chickpea Stew with Coconut and Turmeric
Recipe Type: Soups
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 2-inch piece ginger peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 tsp.ground turmeric
- 1 tsp.red pepper flakes
- 2 15 oz. cans chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can coconut milk or coconut cream
- 1 cup Pacific Foods Organic Unsweetened Coconut Original Plant-Based Beverage
- 2 cups Pacific Foods Organic Chicken Stock
- 1 bunch kale or Swiss chard stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup mint leaves to serve
- non-dairy yogurt to serve
- pita bread to serve
- Add olive oil to a large pot over medium heat.
- Stir in chopped garlic, onion, and ginger.
- Saute for 5 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Stir in turmeric, red pepper flakes, and chickpeas.
- Cook chickpeas until crisped and slightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of chickpeas from pan and set aside.
- Using a potato masher or fork, mash remaining chickpeas to release their starchy insides.
- This helps to thicken the stew.
- Add coconut milks and chicken stock.
- Bring stew to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 30-35 minutes, or until stew is thickened slightly.
- Stir in kale or Swiss chard and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Divide stew into bowls and garnish with reserved chickpeas, yogurt, mint, and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
- Serve with pita bread and enjoy!