Instead of traditional coleslaw, why not switch things up with this more sophisticated and spicy, crunchy, flavorful cabbage salad? Add some fresh grilled fish or pork on the side and you’ve got a complete meal that is fit for entertaining dinner guests. Serve with lemonade, iced tea or Hefferveisen Beer.
The Manzanita Market carries a full selection of Asian and International condiments and ingredients if you find you don’t have them on-hand. Our friendly staff is available to answer any questions you may have and if you have trouble finding anything.
For an extra-zingy version garnish with diced jalapeno chilies and lime wedges!
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons mirin, or white wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced bok choy
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup julienned snap peas
- 1/2 cup julienned green onions
- 15 wonton skins, sliced into strips and fried until crunchy (drain on paper towels)
- Chopped peanuts & cilantro, for garnish
- For the dressing: Mix the olive oil, minced ginger and garlic, brown sugar, soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil and wine vinegar together in a cruet. Shake well and set aside.
- For the salad: Place the rest of the ingredients (except for the wonton skins and peanuts) in a deep salad bowl, add the dressing and toss well. The flavors are best if the salad is made a few hours ahead of time and refrigerated.
- Serving: Plate the individual servings and garnish with wonton strips, peanuts & cilantro.