Chicken Fried Rice With Peppers & Mushrooms
There's nothing tastier than a dish of savory fried rice. And when it's easily made with simple, quality ingredients? Even better!
Author: by Benjamin Maides, Chef, Au Courant Regional Kitchen, Omaha, Nebraska
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 2 boneless skinless Smart Chicken breasts
- 1½ cups short grain rice, cooked and chilled uncovered*
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- Canola oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- *Chilling the rice uncovered dries it out, ensuring your fried rice has optimal texture.
- In a large cast iron skillet, sauté the mushrooms and bell pepper over high heat with salt and pepper, then set aside. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then sear it in the pan until cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F and reserve. Add some canola oil to the pan and heat until smoking hot, then add the rice. Cook the rice, turning it so it gets crispy without burning. Once the chicken has rested, slice or dice it, then add it back to the pan along with the mushrooms and bell peppers. Sauté for about 5 more minutes, then add the green onion, soy sauce, and rice vinegar. Serve warm.