We have great Ling Cod and Rockfish in this weekend, so here’s a recipe that makes for an excellent one dish dinner. You can substitute Ling or Rockfish with Pacific Cod, Sea Bass, or another firm fish.
Baked Cod with Potatoes, Onions, and Tomatoes!
An easy one dish dinner, but can be joined by a light salad for that extra bit. Serves four, easily modified for less (or more) just adjust fish fillets and potatoes.
Author: Adapted from Williams-Sonoma
Recipe type: Dinner
Cuisine: Comfort Food
- For the Gratin Topping:
- ½ Cup Grated Parmesan
- 3 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Italian Parsley
- ¾ Cup Toasted Fine Dried Bread Crumbs
- For the Dish:
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt and Ground Pepper (to taste)
- 8-12 Small Red Potatoes
- 2 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 2 Cups Diced Yellow Onion
- ½ Cup Dry White Wine or Fish Stock
- Ground Cinnamon, Pinch
- 2 Cups of Peeled, Seeded, and Diced Roma Tomatoes (Can use Canned)
- 1 Teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 Firm Fish Fillets, (Cod, Sea Bass, Rockfish, Halibut)
- Put the potatoes on a steamer rack over boiling water, covering to steam until half cooked (about 10 minutes).
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut crosswise into rounds ¼ inch thick and put into a bowl.
- Oil one large baking dish, or four individual smaller baking dishes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the potatoes, tossing to coat and season with salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes into dish(es) and preheat oven to 400F.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, warm last 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add onion and saute until tender, around 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and oregano and cook for additional 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes next, followed by the wine (or stock) and cinnamon.
- Simmer briskly uncovered, until it reduces just a bit. About 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper (if desired).
- Spoon half of the tomato mixture over potatoes and top with fish fillets. Top with the rest of the tomato mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Gratin topping (found at top of recipe). Sprinkle on top of fish.
- Put the entire dish(es) into oven and bake until potatoes are tender and fish is done, 10 minutes to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and top with fresh parsley.
- Serve & Enjoy!